I was actually getting used to the idea of being bathed by
another person all the time. My
occupational therapist Cam was fast and efficient, and while he scrubbed me
down, he’d talk to me. Just about casual
stuff, to make it seem like we were two friends hanging out, rather than one
man bathing another.
The way I got bathed was in a shower chair. Cam would undress me down to the plastic
diaper, then transfer me into the chair from bed, usually using a slideboard
rather than a Hoyer lift like the female therapists. Cam was strong, so he could give me a lot
more support than a woman. The shower
chair kind of looked like a fusion of a toilet and a wheelchair, and I’m not even
kidding. Most of it was made of plastic
and the seat was shaped like the seat of a toilet bowl. There was a footrest with little holes in it
so the water could seep through. And of
course, it had plastic straps that went across my chest, to keep me from
falling out.
Once I was in the shower chair, I couldn’t wheel it myself,
so I was dependent on Cam to get me into the shower. Usually he wheeled me right in, but today he
discovered that nobody had replaced the towels in the bathroom, so he had to leave
me to make a towel run. Out of respect
for my privacy, he shut the door before he left. I sat patiently in the shower chair, waiting
for him to return. I heard him knock and
said, “Come in.”
Naturally, it wasn’t Cam.
It was Savannah.
I guess this was the first time she’d seen me naked since my
injury. Of course, I wasn’t completely
naked. I was still wearing a fucking
blue plastic diaper with the catheter tube snaking out. I couldn’t look her in the eyes, so I looked
down, but that was even worse. Looking
down at my body, I looked so crippled.
My legs had gotten really skinny, and my hands were curled up, my wrists
turned in. My stomach bulged out and it
was clear there were no muscles left in my chest.
At that moment, Cam came back in. He gave Savannah a big smile. “Well, hi there!” he said. “You must be Nick’s girlfriend.”
“Uh huh,” Savannah said, her voice barely a whisper.
“Do you want to help with his shower?” Cam offered.
I prayed she’d say no.
“No,” she said.
“I’ll be done in half an hour,” I told her, still unable to
look her in the eyes. “Maybe you can
come back.”
“Okay, that’s fine,” Savannah said.
I felt intense relief when she hurried away. It’s funny because I’d never been even the
slightest bit self-conscious about my body.
I mean, I was skinny dipping when I broke my neck. But now I didn’t want anyone to see me
naked. Which fucking sucked, considering
practically everyone saw me naked these days.
Cam wheeled me into the shower and got the water going. “What’s your girlfriend’s name again?” he
asked me.
“Savannah,” I said.
“Nice,” he said. He
got out a washcloth and soaped it up. He
started to scrub at my chest. “How did
you meet?”
“At a party,” I said.
It was actually the party of some stand-up comedian who had just won his
own pilot. Bill Something-or-other. Anyway, the pilot eventually failed, but at
the time, he was so excited, he bought a bunch of coke and threw a pretty
intense party. I was so high, I only
vaguely remember meeting Savannah. I definitely
fucked her that night though. I remember
that part. We were in a closet. We were literally fucking in a coat closet. I remember a hanger poked Savannah in the eye
and she got really upset, especially when I couldn’t stop laughing.
It went without saying that I was never going to be able to
have sex in a closet again.
Cam was prying apart my fingers and trying to clean between
them. “Do you and Savannah want to use
the apartment?”
“The apartment?”
“You know, to have some alone time…” Cam winked at me. I remembered hearing about a room that was
set up like an apartment, where patients could have complete privacy for a
night.
“I don’t know,” I mumbled.
“I know you’re nervous,” Cam said. “But you shouldn’t be. I’ll help you get into bed and get undressed,
and then we can let Savannah in. I think
it’ll help the two of you reconnect.”
“Yeah, maybe…” I felt
weird saying no. I mean, what guy
wouldn’t want to be alone with his girlfriend?
Except this would be the first time I’d be alone with Savannah since my
injury and things were really different now.
There were a hundred ways things could go wrong.
Cam finished bathing me, and got me dressed and into my
regular wheelchair. I hated that wheelchair so much when I first saw it, but
now I felt happy whenever I saw it.
Without that wheelchair, I was really helpless. It was frustrating not to be able to move
from Point A to Point B.
Savannah came into the room just as Cam was combing my
hair. I forced a smile, trying to forget
what happened earlier. Her smile seemed
equally forced.
“Nick, tell her about the apartment,” Cam said.
“Um, okay,” I said. I
swallowed hard. “So there’s this
apartment in the hospital that’s a place where you and I can be alone together
to… um… you know…”
“What?” Savannah asked blankly.
I was too embarrassed to finish the sentence, so Cam filled
her in: “Have sex.”
“Have sex?” Savannah
looked utterly shocked. “You can have
sex? But you’re paralyzed.”
“Don’t worry,” Cam said good-naturedly. “We’ll slip him a Viagra and he’ll be fine.”
Viagra. Great. Even though I was 25 years old, I was going
to need a medication taken by 70 year old guys who wanted to fuck old ladies.
“Oh,” Savannah said.
She looked a little pale. “I
guess we can. That would be okay.”
Well, don’t get too excited, sweetheart.
“Great,” I said. I
don’t think it’s possible either of us could have been dreading this more.
Savannah patiently waited for Cam to finish up with me. It was true that Savannah had a lot of not so
great qualities and maybe she wasn’t dealing with my paralysis as well as she
could have. But on the other hand, she
wasn’t such a bad girlfriend. Not every
girl would stick around when her boyfriend because a quadriplegic. I couldn’t blame her for not wanting to, say,
learn to bath or dress me. Why would
she?
But I know Savannah had strong feelings for me, because she
came to visit me all the time. Why would
she waste her time doing that if she didn’t really like me? And if she liked me a lot, I wasn’t going to
take that for granted. I wanted to be in
it for the long haul with this girl.
Maybe we’d even get married someday. I just needed to keep from scaring
her off.
After Cam left, Savannah sidled closer to me and laid one of
her milky white hands on my chest. I
thought she was being affectionate until she said: “Nick, do you really need
this strap here?”
She was referring to the strap across my upper chest. Yes, I fucking needed it. What did she think—it was decorative? I had no strength in my upper body, so
without it, I’d pitch forward. “Yeah, I
do,” I said.
“It just looks really bad,” Savannah said. “It messes up the way your shirt looks. Like, what if you wanted to wear a nice shirt
and tie?”
“When will I need to wear a nice shirt and tie?” I was
having trouble imagining a situation like that.
“I don’t know… to, like, a movie premiere?”
I always hated going to movie premieres and I didn’t think
going as a quad was going to be any more fun.
“Well, I don’t know what to say.
I really need it.”
Savannah pouted for a second, then her face brightened. “Maybe we could hide it.”
Before I could ask what she was talking about, she ran
off. When she returned, she was holding
a huge pair of scissors. Fuck. “Please don’t cut the strap,” I said
anxiously.
“I’m not going to cut the strap, silly,” Savannah said. “I’m going to cut your shirt.”
I didn’t really want her to do that either, but it didn’t
seem like she was going to listen to me, so I tolerated her snipping a two-inch
long slit on either side of my shirt.
Luckily, I was just wearing a random T-shirt that had appeared in my
closet one day.
Savannah inspected her handiwork and smiled. “Great.
Now we just need to thread the strap through your shirt.”
Before I had a chance to process what she was saying,
Savannah had ripped open the Velcro on the strap across my chest. The effect was instant: my whole upper body
pitched forward and slightly to the right.
The fact that my arms were strapped down helped a little, but I felt
very unsafe. “Savannah, strap me back
in!” I yelled at her, lifting my head so I could look at her.
Savannah looked a little panicked. I don’t know how she didn’t realize this was
going to happen, especially since I asked her not to undo the strap. But instead of doing the intelligent thing
and actually strapping me back in, she ran off, screaming, “Cam! Help!”
It was hard to keep my head up in this position, so I let my
head sag down. I stared down at my lap,
where I noticed I could see my legbag through my sweatpants. Great.
I’d have to get Cam to adjust it.
A minute later, Cam and Savannah were back. Cam held my upper body up while Savannah
threaded the straps under my shirt and then re-secured the Velcro. Then she brushed her hands off on her tight navy
blue skirt and stepped back to examine her handiwork. “That is so
much better, Nick,” she declared.
I looked down at my chest.
It did seem a little better, not having that strap visible. I actually looked slightly less crippled.
“I have a flair for this,” Savannah said proudly. “Now we just need to find you a shirt that
hides that pooch on your belly and some decent thick pants to hide your
legs. After you get out of here, we’ll
go shopping together. I could totally
make you look almost normal.”
I didn’t let her see how much her words stung me. My girlfriend just declared that I didn’t
look like a normal person anymore. And
she just said it so matter-of-factly, like it was a given that I looked like a
freak.
“Sounds good,” I said, swallowing a lump in my throat.
“If this acting thing doesn’t work out, I could become a
clothing designer for the disabled,” Savannah said.
I was really beginning to question Savannah’s feelings for
me. It was becoming more and more
obvious that she thought of me as something less than an attractive man. And if that was the case, why was she still
my girlfriend?
*facepalm* Oh, Savannah.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update!
Great Update!!!!! thanks
ReplyDelete*sigh*
ReplyDeleteI sympathize with Nick for not wanting to feel abandonned, but he really needs a slap upside the head......
Great update--I really enjoyed it.
ReplyDeleteLove the update. Look forward to Savannah being shown the door and hopefully Nick finding someone that cares for him and is not a user. Thanks for the update.
ReplyDelete